Decorating & Furniture/what goes well with lilac?

Hi, my boyfriend and I will shortly be moving to a place of our own and with a baby on the way we are on a tight budget. His mother has given us her old lilac leather sofas and i have no clue how to decorate our living room around them! please help?

Hi Gill,

Thanks for the question.  A natural combination with lilac is sage or pale green.  Since lilac is a shade of red, the color opposite (and the best coordinating color) is green.  

To avoid the space being too feminine, a darker shade (like a medium to dark sage) is best.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology