Decorating & Furniture/Best sofa color for room with light mud paint color

Dear Kim,

We are about to move in our new house and are in the process of buying a sofa. We were wondering about best sofa color to put in family room which has a lot of light and windows and wall painted with light mud color (floor is relatively hardwood)
We were hesitating between a terra cotta (dark orange) sectional and a brown (latte)

Would love to get your opinion on best match

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Dear Alex,
Congratulations on your new home!  How exciting! The room sounds great, lots of light and hardwood floors!  I'm sorry, I couldn't help but chuckle.  By light mud, do you mean beige? That's what I'm picturing, how far off am I? I think you are on the right track with choosing a solid color.  It will give you greater flexibility to accessorize with fabrics, pillows, etc. I'm thinking you can pretty much use any color including the terra cotta or brown, but also green, blue or black!  Here are some ideas to consider for pulling the whole room together.  What kind of a look are you going for?  Have you seen pictures in magazines or catalogs of what you like?What other elements will be in the room? Do you have any other furniture you are working with in the space? Will you be adding an area rug or window treatments? Fabric can pull the whole look together.  Bottom line, go with what you like!  Also, one tip to remember, since there is alot of light in the room, be careful when you select the material for the upholstery.  Cotton can really fade.  I hope you found this to be helpful.  Let me know what you decide.

Kim Boyer

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer

I am a Certified Interior Designer, Redesign and Home Staging Professional as well as a Certified Color expert. Therefore I am can assist with questions regarding space planning and furniture arrangement, color selection, art and accessory placement. I am also able to answer questions regarding the selection and sourcing of furniture and flooring materials as well as custom window treatments.

I started in the industry as a design consultant in the custom window treatment and home furnishings industry. I have gone on to establish my own full service interior decorating business, Kimberly Boyer Interiors, with specialities in redesign, home staging and color consultations. I was also a featured designer on MyHome2.0 a Verizon Fios sponsered Home Technology Makeover Show.

Affiliate Member Interior Design Society The SDP, ODDAA, ABWA, Interior Redesign Directory

Publications website Ask the Interior Designer

Certified Interior Designer Temple University. Certified Redesign and Staging Professional, Society of Decorating Professionals Certified Color Specialist, Society of Decorating Professionals