Decorating & Furniture/Colors for our condo

Hi Kim,

We live in a 1250 sq foot condo in San Diego.  There are three bedrooms and two baths.  The living area is open, with the sitting area to the right when you open the door, and a wall behind the sitting area separating the kitchen.  The dining area is to the left, parallel to the kitchen and posterior to the living area.  The ceilings are 15 ft at the highest point, they join to make a triangle.  We have brown leather couches and rosewood dining and accent furniture.  I think that this room would look most spacious (and resell better) if we painted one tone of a warm off-white.  My husband wants to do an accent wall, and we are having a hard time choosing which wall to paint.  If we paint the wall behind the couch, will that make the area seem smaller?  If we paint the dining room wall as the accent, which is directly in view from the entrance, but the furthest point back in the place, what effect will that have?  If we paint the dining room wall, it is contiguous with the small kitchen, and the kitchen will also have to be painted a darker color.  Our other choice is to skip the accent wall and use more color in the bedrooms.  What do you think would be the best use of color?  Thanks for offering your advice!  Scotti

Hi Scotti,
I always ask for a photo if at all possible to help give me a better sense of the space.  First of all, you mentioned resale, how long will you be staying in the condo?  An accent wall will visually pull the wall into the space.  If you are trying to make a large room more cozy, it is a nice way to do it, but don't put too much contrast between the accent wall and the adjoining wall.  A shade or two difference at most.  If you are in sunny San Diego, I would keep the space bright.  A nice, creamy off white or light golden color would be nice.  It will also visually expand the space.  They are also using a lot of light grey/blues with grays for a more contemporary look.  Good luck.

Kim Boyer

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer

I am a Certified Interior Designer, Redesign and Home Staging Professional as well as a Certified Color expert. Therefore I am can assist with questions regarding space planning and furniture arrangement, color selection, art and accessory placement. I am also able to answer questions regarding the selection and sourcing of furniture and flooring materials as well as custom window treatments.

I started in the industry as a design consultant in the custom window treatment and home furnishings industry. I have gone on to establish my own full service interior decorating business, Kimberly Boyer Interiors, with specialities in redesign, home staging and color consultations. I was also a featured designer on MyHome2.0 a Verizon Fios sponsered Home Technology Makeover Show.

Affiliate Member Interior Design Society The SDP, ODDAA, ABWA, Interior Redesign Directory

Publications website Ask the Interior Designer

Certified Interior Designer Temple University. Certified Redesign and Staging Professional, Society of Decorating Professionals Certified Color Specialist, Society of Decorating Professionals