Decorating & Furniture/Decorating Great Room

Question
We have a beautiful great room that we are stuggling to decorate, so I would appreciate any suggestions.
Let me try to describe it...
When you walk down the 11 foot front hall, you enter the kitchen which then opens into a 20ft x 40ft great room. The kitchen is separated from the great room by a bar/counter. The great room has beautiful oak flooring, three skylights, a huge fireplace in the center of the wall with twelve-foot sliders on either side of the fireplace that open onto a deck. At one end wall there are two tall but narrow windows, and the other end of the room has a door leading to the master suite.
The center of the room (in front of the fireplace) is where we watch TV, which is a 42in set up to the left of the fireplace. The furniture is floating... there is a large sofa in front of the fireplace w/ a love seat perpendicular to the fireplace and a large area rug pulling them together. At either end of the great room we have a dining area...one formal with a china cabinet and hutch in either corner and a buffet between them against the wall. The other end of the room is more just a place to put a very special oak table since the kitchen has a table built into the counter area. There is also a built in wetbar. There is very little wall space given that one wall has the fireplace and sliders, the opposite side is the kitchen, wetbar, and French doors leading into the living room. Other than the blue furniture, there is very little color.
My questions...
1. how can we make the ends of the great room more appealing and usable rather than just dining tables
2. how can we add color...there isn't a lot of available wall space for paint or decorations
3. could we paint just one of the end walls? colors/shades?
4. what type of window coverings on the sliders? our lot is wooded and on a golf course so there are no houses behind us, so privacy really isn't an issue
5. there is a large return vent on the one end wall...any suggestions as to how to minimize it?
Thank you!!

Answer
Hi Pat,
The room sounds spectacular and you are off to a great start. I would begin by choosing fabric for the window treatments. From that you can pull the color into the room with color on the walls, accessories and pillows, etc.  In your case I think simple pinch pleat draperies would be lovely hung on beautiful rod.  The panels could stack back to the outside of each slider.  That would carry the color across the wall pulling the large space together.  You could paint that wall a darker color of the fabric that might tie in with your existing furnishings.  
The furniture arrangement sounds very predictable.  Because the room is a huge rectangle and you have more rectangles with the fireplace, sliders, furniture pieces, I would try placing the furniture on a V with the largest piece, the sofa facing the TV. Build off of the arrangement from there.  Change up pieces maybe by placing the dining room buffet behind the sofa as a console or lamp table.  I'm not big on painting just the end wall a color, but maybe the remaining 3 walls could be another coordinating shade from the fabric.  Paint the return vent the same color as the walls to help it fade in to the background.  Set up the oak table as a game table.   

Kim Boyer
www.kimberlyboyerinteriors.com

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer