Decorating & Furniture/Den/furniture placement

Question
My den is 20ftx14ft. I have a flat screen tv over my mantle. There are two windows on one side and the other side has a door which is about 2ft from the fireplace and the rest is a blank wall. Could you give me suggestions for my furniture placement without closing my room in?

Answer
Hi Dorie,
        From the information you gave me I understand the TV would be a major focal point. So, your furniture will be arranged around the TV/fireplace. Put your largest piece of furniture on the short wall, leaving a little room behind it. This would be a good place to angle a striking three panel screen in the corner.
      Next, place the chair opposite the fireplace and a loveseat opposite the sofa. At the other end of the room you might have a nice arrangement of plants, or silk or cut flowers. Another idea would be to have a chair with a table and lamp for a separate reading area.
     You don't want to place lamps in the corners cause this will emphasize the room's narrowness, rather than expanding the space.
     These are a few ideas I have. Of course, it will depend on the pieces of furniture you have. Hope this helps, and good luck :)
         Norah

Decorating & Furniture

G. Norah Baker