Decorating & Furniture/Dining area

I have a little issue. I am 23 years old and just got out of a 5 year relationship and I have a new boyfriend. He keeps dropping hints about me having him over for dinner. I would love to but my house is SO small (less than 1000 sq ft) and I'm not too fond of the table I have. I got it at Wal Mart for $100. My living room and dining room are pretty much the same room and I really have no room for a nice table. Since I have such a small (and cheap) table, I am very self conscious about it. I can't set up a nice table with nice things and a nice center piece. I can't even put the 4th chair at my table because it's right up against my breakfast bar (which has no stools). I can't afford to go out and get a new table. I know there aren't many options, but any ideas?
When you sit at my table, it feels cheap...

Be kind to yourself!  You are 23!  Work with what you have girlfriend and it will be spectacular! First off, if he really likes you, it won't matter where you eat! Set a tablecloth on the living room floor and have an indoor picnic!  Learn to be creative! Ok, if you really want to eat in the dining room, let's start with the table. Set it up with only 2 chairs.  Can you put the other 2 in the living room with a little tray or ottoman between them for additional seating?  Back to the table, paint it or COVER IT!
If you take the time, you can find tons of great fabric remnants for literally like $2/yd!  Buy 5 or 6 yards and drape it all over the table. If not, do you have an Ollies or Big Lots?  They have great deals on table cloths.  Get bigger than you need and let the fabric drape down to the floor.  They also have great buys on beautiful dishes, like a service for 4 for $20!  Centerpiece?  You are in luck, it's spring.  Trader Joes has bunches of daffodils for like $3! Add small pillar candles, Dollar Store $1 and set them all around.  Voila! Dinner for 2!
Hope this helps, let me know if you need any more help, and you have to let me know how it goes!  Good luck!

Kim Boyer

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer

I am a Certified Interior Designer, Redesign and Home Staging Professional as well as a Certified Color expert. Therefore I am can assist with questions regarding space planning and furniture arrangement, color selection, art and accessory placement. I am also able to answer questions regarding the selection and sourcing of furniture and flooring materials as well as custom window treatments.

I started in the industry as a design consultant in the custom window treatment and home furnishings industry. I have gone on to establish my own full service interior decorating business, Kimberly Boyer Interiors, with specialities in redesign, home staging and color consultations. I was also a featured designer on MyHome2.0 a Verizon Fios sponsered Home Technology Makeover Show.

Affiliate Member Interior Design Society The SDP, ODDAA, ABWA, Interior Redesign Directory

Publications website Ask the Interior Designer

Certified Interior Designer Temple University. Certified Redesign and Staging Professional, Society of Decorating Professionals Certified Color Specialist, Society of Decorating Professionals