Decorating & Furniture/Help with decorating schemes

Hi, I am wondering, is it ok for different rooms of the house to have different themes or would that be tacky? My living room is decorated in a danish retro modern style, but I am doing my dining room in a kind of a shabby chic style, and my kitchen is a retro-ish mix of 50s-60s and modern. Does this sound like it clashes horribly? I kind of just bought pieces I liked at the time without thinking about tying it all together and now I cant really afford to replace things to make them all match. Please advise. Thank you!

Hi Jennifer,
         There are several ways to tie a scheme together when there are different themes in each room. In fact, your overall house scheme is Creative. In each room you can pretend you're in a different era, and that can be very invigorating and refreshing :)  
   One thing that pulls schemes together are the use of pattern and colour; floor treatments that are used throughout the house is another, for example the same colour carpeting used in the living, dining, and bedroom. If you'd like to give me more information about which colours you're using I'll be glad to advise you further :) But no, it doesn't sound like a clash to me at all :)!

Decorating & Furniture

G. Norah Baker

My areas of expertise are color selection and accessories. But I have a general knowledge of all areas of interior decorating and would be able to answer questions in any area.

I have decorated over ten houses and apartments and have consulted on five outside projects. I have had an interest in decorating since my teens.

I graduated with highest honors (96%) from Thomson Education Direct in 2002