Decorating & Furniture/Hunter Green Everywhere!!!

Question
Here is a challenge for you. I have a unused dining room that I would like to convert into a home office. What I really need is somehelp with the color scheme. The previous owner must have liked green because it's everywhere. The carpet is hunter green, the built-ins and trim is hunter green. The walls are a sort of dirty cream color, and the ceiling is textured with the color being white. There are no light fixtures in the room and it is a dark space.  I need to brighten the space, make it a place of inspiration to do work, and I do not have the means to change the carpeting. Please give me some ideas of what I might be able to do with paint and fabric.

PS. The carpet is plush hunter green, and there is one window in between the two built ins.

Answer
Hi Tonya,
I agree, it sounds like you need to update and brighten this space.  I would start by painting the bookcases a nice cream color such as dover white from Sherwin Williams.  Then I would paint the wall a camel color and add a woven wood blind to the window.  If you can do 2 simple drapery panels on a rod, it would add some softness. You could create a window seat in between with a small bench.  Add pillows and a cushion for color. Add an area rug on top of the carpet to cut all the green. Do you have a Joann Fabric or Calico Corner near by?  Stop in for some inspiration.  Everything is color coordinated to make it so easy.  I'm sure you'll find many options to choose from  Good luck and let me know how you make out!

Kim Boyer
www.kimberlyboyerinteriors.com

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer