Decorating & Furniture/Tudor Style Home Designs

Hi Sandy!

So my fiance and I just bought this amazing Anhalt Condo in Seattle. It is a depression era home built in 1927, with a Tudor or also seen as Elizabethan architecture. The walls are off white, with white trim and chocolate accents. The floors are the original hardwood a little over 80 years old and a dark oak.

We are having a bit of difficulty with finding furniture that will satisfy our needs. We have been told that craftsman style furniture fits the time period our house was built and we are fine with that, cause if it is too ornate we don't like it. However we are eclectic people, I tend to browse the pottery barn catalog a bit and like quite a bit of their things, just don't have the funds for a lot of it. Our biggest thing is wood, we are unsure of how different shades of wood are going to look, if that is tacky. We have our eye currently on a solid golden oak table, it is a good material and within our budget, however the chairs that go with it are very modern, they are high backed, with no arms and a cloth cover that covers everything but the wood legs. However we like a dark chocolate color side board and there is living room tables that match the side board that we like as well, we just don't like the dinning room table that matches the side board. We are also going to have greens in both rooms for continuity they are only separated by a beautiful gothic style arch. I can send pictures if it would help.

Any advice would be great, I just don't know what direction to go.

Hi Stephanie,
Your new home sounds beautiful!  I especially like the gothic arch separating your rooms.  
Regarding the mixing of woods, you can't go wrong with that style.  You mention you and your fiance like decorating with eclectic style, and truly in my opinion that is more interesting than everything matching everything else.  The mixing of woods and different textures adds interest.  The chairs you described are a bit on the modern side, but you could slip cover them to make them a bit more casual with a duck-cloth type of cover.  It would cover the chair all the way down to the floor, and you wouldn't see the legs.  Another idea, is to shop flea markets or thrift shops for other chairs you love.  You can then swap out the chairs that came with the dining table, and place them around your home in other rooms or sell them if you didn't have extra room when you get your other chairs.  I love the idea of the dark chocolate side board and the living room tables...Buy them! You'll love the look.  You've got a great sense for style.  Keep in mind, you can't go wrong with decorating your home with things you love.  
Hope this helps.  
Thanks for writing, Sandy

Decorating & Furniture

Sandy Knutson-Grebner

I am able to answer questions regarding Interior Redesign - specializing in decorating with Flea Market finds, window treatments, paint color, and real estate staging. I am a certified redesigner and stager. Please visit I look forward to assisting you.

I have been in business 3 years as a certified redesigner, with a lifetime of experience.

Oswego Chamber of Commerce Aurora Chamber of Commerce The SDP IRIS

Certified Redesigner and Stager with The SDP Certified Redesigner with IRIS
,Interior Redesign Directory