Decorating & Furniture/Updating flooring

Hi Kim,

About 5 yrs ago I bought a 3 BR, 2 bath rancher that was built in 1991.  It has wall-to-wall carpet throughout, except for the kitchen/utility room area that has vinyl. The carpet covers the entire family room and dining area, plus the hallway and all the bedrooms.   

The kitchen, family room, and dining area are one huge room, for example, when you come in the front door you can walk directly to the back door which is off the kitchen/dining area.  The room measures about 50ft. front to back, and 27ft. side to side.  Off this room is the hallway that leads to the bedrooms and bath.

Okay, now my question:  I am wanting to install hardwood or laminate flooring to bring the house up to date, but I'm not sure how much of the carpet I should actually replace with wood. Originally I thought just doing the kitchen, dining room area and the hallway would be a good idea, but very expensive!  But most of todays new construction houses have wood flooring in the family rooms, as well as bedrooms.  I was considering doing the master bedroom in wood as well, but again, it would add a lot of extra cost.  

If I have succeeded in giving you a good mental image of what I am facing, how would you approach this project?  In your opinion, how much wood flooring would bring the house up to date? Incidently, the family room has a vaulted ceiling with knotty pine wood planks, which gives it a very rustic look.  What kind of flooring would compliment this look?  The kitchen cabinets are off-white, including an island that contains the electric cook top.

I hope you can help.

Gary in WV

Hi Gary,
Thank you for your question.  I know that cost is a major factor. So, with that said, ultimately, I would recommend doing as much as possible with the exception of the bedrooms, which I don't think need to have the hardwood.  I would probably do the main area of the house including the hallway.  
In regard to the knotty pine in the family room, it does not have to match.  Choosing a warm, rich tone that compliments it would be fine.  There are several products available at a number of affordable price points.  Wait for a great sale and don't forget to let the wood acclimate to the room it will be in for at least 1 week.
Hope this helped.  Let me know if I can be of further services.

Kim Boyer

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer

I am a Certified Interior Designer, Redesign and Home Staging Professional as well as a Certified Color expert. Therefore I am can assist with questions regarding space planning and furniture arrangement, color selection, art and accessory placement. I am also able to answer questions regarding the selection and sourcing of furniture and flooring materials as well as custom window treatments.

I started in the industry as a design consultant in the custom window treatment and home furnishings industry. I have gone on to establish my own full service interior decorating business, Kimberly Boyer Interiors, with specialities in redesign, home staging and color consultations. I was also a featured designer on MyHome2.0 a Verizon Fios sponsered Home Technology Makeover Show.

Affiliate Member Interior Design Society The SDP, ODDAA, ABWA, Interior Redesign Directory

Publications website Ask the Interior Designer

Certified Interior Designer Temple University. Certified Redesign and Staging Professional, Society of Decorating Professionals Certified Color Specialist, Society of Decorating Professionals