Decorating & Furniture/Wall colors

I have a sage colored sectional and the home we are moving into has burgundy carpet in the living room and the adjacent dining room. The sofa pillows have ivory, chocolate brown, and and reddish brown in them...what color do I paint the walls and should I do one of the walls in the dining room a different color?

Hi Deb,
Thank you for your question.  In choosing the correct color, it all depends on the undertones of the sage and burgundy in the room. But in an attempt to tie it all together with a split complimentary color palette of Green/Red-Violet(Burgundy)/Yellow, I'm recommending a nice golden yellow for the walls.  Something along the lines of Sherwin Williams Blonde 6128?  This should keep the space from getting too dark and will also provide a beautiful warm backdrop.  Unless, there is a need to camouflage something in the dining room,
I'm not a big fan of painting one wall a different color.  If the LR/DR is an L shape, the entire backwall could be painted a shade or two different if you like. I hope this helps.

Kim Boyer

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer

I am a Certified Interior Designer, Redesign and Home Staging Professional as well as a Certified Color expert. Therefore I am can assist with questions regarding space planning and furniture arrangement, color selection, art and accessory placement. I am also able to answer questions regarding the selection and sourcing of furniture and flooring materials as well as custom window treatments.

I started in the industry as a design consultant in the custom window treatment and home furnishings industry. I have gone on to establish my own full service interior decorating business, Kimberly Boyer Interiors, with specialities in redesign, home staging and color consultations. I was also a featured designer on MyHome2.0 a Verizon Fios sponsered Home Technology Makeover Show.

Affiliate Member Interior Design Society The SDP, ODDAA, ABWA, Interior Redesign Directory

Publications website Ask the Interior Designer

Certified Interior Designer Temple University. Certified Redesign and Staging Professional, Society of Decorating Professionals Certified Color Specialist, Society of Decorating Professionals