Decorating & Furniture/flooring

Question
We are wanting to sell our house and are trying to update it.  It is in a nice area where homes sell around 800-1 million.  My question is that when you sell a home is it better to put hardwood in the master bedroom or carpet and also for the upstairs.  Should we put hardwood or carpet for resale?  Hardwood is more expensive however it may increase the value of our home.   The downstairs is light blond oak hardwood, very traditional looking.  Is it ok to put a dark distressed wood in our master bedroom downstairs since it would be hard to match the light wood that is already throughout our downstairs.   Will this help or hurt resale?  I know that distressed wood is usually not in the Northeastern traditional homes which our home resembles however is it terrible to mix styles in one home.   Thanks Lesley

Answer
Hi Lesley,
I would definitely carpet the master and the upstairs.  Pick a neutral creme color.  The money you put into putting in the hardwood floors will not be returned fully in resale and there's no guarantee potential buyers would have the same taste.
Thanks

Decorating & Furniture

Sandy Knutson-Grebner