Decorating & Furniture/furniture placement in a family room with a corner fireplace

family room photo
family room photo  
Hello Kim.  I hope you can help me.  I've attached a photo of my family room.  I think the measurement of the room is 17 x 10'6".  There is a fireplace situated in a one corner with a flat panel sitting above it.  The floors are oak hardwood.  The family room is open to the kitchen/breakfast area.  Presently I have an oversized 3 seater hunter green leather sofa and chair which my husband would like to keep.  I am considering slipcovering them.  Otherwise I would like suggestions for other furniture for the room and furniture colours.  We have 3 kids age 10, 8 and 6 so I would like to have storage in this space.  I love country decorating but not too country.
Thanks for your help.

Hi Sherry,
Thanks for sending the photo, was wondering if you could send one more so I can see the other side of the room.  I want to see if what I'm thinking will work.  Look forward to hearing from you.

Kim Boyer

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer

I am a Certified Interior Designer, Redesign and Home Staging Professional as well as a Certified Color expert. Therefore I am can assist with questions regarding space planning and furniture arrangement, color selection, art and accessory placement. I am also able to answer questions regarding the selection and sourcing of furniture and flooring materials as well as custom window treatments.

I started in the industry as a design consultant in the custom window treatment and home furnishings industry. I have gone on to establish my own full service interior decorating business, Kimberly Boyer Interiors, with specialities in redesign, home staging and color consultations. I was also a featured designer on MyHome2.0 a Verizon Fios sponsered Home Technology Makeover Show.

Affiliate Member Interior Design Society The SDP, ODDAA, ABWA, Interior Redesign Directory

Publications website Ask the Interior Designer

Certified Interior Designer Temple University. Certified Redesign and Staging Professional, Society of Decorating Professionals Certified Color Specialist, Society of Decorating Professionals