Decorating & Furniture/hanging blinds

Question
Hi Kim,
I have a small sunroom, 11x11ft, with 5 large windows and very little wall space (6") between the windows, almost necessitating that any blinds must be inner-mounted.  Having just bought my house and thinking that all the casements were wood, I bought over $330 worth of very nice, custom-cut Levolor cordless blinds... then when I went to hang them, learned that a) my sunroom casements are vinyl and b)vinyl casements aren't sturdy enough to inner-mount heavy blinds.  At the hardware store they suggested that maybe it could work if I use extra-long screws to go into the surrounding woodwork, and then silicone-caulk around the screws... but ordinarily they would recommend against it altogether.  They also said that if I tried it I would need to be very gentle with the blinds--but I'm thinking, these faux wood blinds are HEAVY--plus being cordless, you pull on the bottom rail to lower the blinds (and push a button on the rail to raise them).  Is there something reasonable I can do to stabilize the casements so they can reliably bear the weight?  Hope you have a solution for me--I don't want to lose my $330, plus this is exactly the kind of window treatment I would like for this room, can't think of anything else I would like as well.
Thanks,
Teresa

Answer
Hi Teresa,
I did check with my installer and she said the same thing. Above the window, or inside of the window, mount a 1 x 3 board to which you can attach the blinds.  If it came with the valance it will hide the board.  If it didn't, you could use crown molding to cover it up.
Good luck and let me know how you make out!

Kim Boyer
www.kimberlyboyerinteriors.com

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer