Decorating & Furniture/low ceilings

I was wondering if you can give me some advice on decorating an older home.  The rooms have low ceilings, unlike the new homes being built, and I want the ceilings to appear higher.  Any tips on decorating to make the room look not so "closed in"?

Hi Audra,
One tip I've learned is to paint the ceiling the same shade or a shade lighter than the walls.  There's not as much definition as if you painted the ceiling white.  You definitely don't want to paint it darker. Another really cool thing to do is to paint the ceiling a very pale shade of blue.  Also, hang your window treatments right below the ceiling line which will elongate your windows, letting in more light and making the walls seem taller.  

Kim Boyer

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer

I am a Certified Interior Designer, Redesign and Home Staging Professional as well as a Certified Color expert. Therefore I am can assist with questions regarding space planning and furniture arrangement, color selection, art and accessory placement. I am also able to answer questions regarding the selection and sourcing of furniture and flooring materials as well as custom window treatments.

I started in the industry as a design consultant in the custom window treatment and home furnishings industry. I have gone on to establish my own full service interior decorating business, Kimberly Boyer Interiors, with specialities in redesign, home staging and color consultations. I was also a featured designer on MyHome2.0 a Verizon Fios sponsered Home Technology Makeover Show.

Affiliate Member Interior Design Society The SDP, ODDAA, ABWA, Interior Redesign Directory

Publications website Ask the Interior Designer

Certified Interior Designer Temple University. Certified Redesign and Staging Professional, Society of Decorating Professionals Certified Color Specialist, Society of Decorating Professionals