Decorating & Furniture/low ceilings

I was wondering if you can give me some advice on decorating an older home.  The rooms have low ceilings, unlike the new homes being built, and I want the ceilings to appear higher.  Any tips on decorating to make the room look not so "closed in".

Hi Audra,
       First of all, plese forgive me for taking so long to get back to you but I wanted to get all the information I could to help you solve your problem.
    So--to raise the ceiling, try these: if you're using a chair rail(usually placed 1/3 of the way up the wall)put it a little lower to extend the top paint or paper treatment.
  Use a vertical stripe wallpaper in either bright stripes or tone-on-tone; you could get the same effect by painting in alternate bands of complementary colours eg. blue/orange red/green, or red-violet/yellow-green.
   Use uplights to direct light toward the ceiling
   Paint the ceiling white and use a sheen finish rather than flat paint to bounce light back into the room.
   Remove the baseboards; they only cut the walls off at the ankles :)
    Lengthen the curtains stress the longer lines of the walls rather than the window size by using a full length drapery treatment or vertical blinds that end at the floor rather than the window sill. These could also be vertical striped material to elongate the look.
   When painting the rest of the room choose chalky or pale neutral tones; you can add bold colour in accessories like pillows, throws, keepsakes. Link objects with colour or design.
   I hope this gives you a place to start. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask! :)

Decorating & Furniture

G. Norah Baker

My areas of expertise are color selection and accessories. But I have a general knowledge of all areas of interior decorating and would be able to answer questions in any area.

I have decorated over ten houses and apartments and have consulted on five outside projects. I have had an interest in decorating since my teens.

I graduated with highest honors (96%) from Thomson Education Direct in 2002