Decorating & Furniture/mantle design

My den has a beautiful fireplace surrounded by a medium toned wood paneling.  The wood paneling is underneath the chairrail throughout the room.  The walls are a tan right now but I am open to color suggestions to make the room seem bigger.  My real problem is I do not know what to do with my mantle.  Because of the wood, it seems that anything I put up there blends in with it.  I don't want a mirror up there because the only thing it will reflect is the ceiling fan.  My style is casual and somewhat exotic tropical.  Thanks.

Adding color is always nice. What color depends on what else is already in the room. What is on the floor? what color are the funishings and art?

You can also paint the paneling to eliminate some of the wood.
As far as the mantle anything goes.

Select one big piece of art - colorful -- and maybe add 3 other elements to balance it out.

Decorating & Furniture

April Force Pardoe

Can answer questions about decorating, hanging art, furniture arrangement, color selections, accessorizing, window treatments, storage, organizing, staging, redesign

I run an interior redesign, staging and decorating company and have worked in creative fields—as a graphic designer and event planner—for 13 years. I have made a living creating beautiful spaces. I have the ability to see things not for what they are—but for what they could be.

Master of Arts in Publication Design.