You are here:

Decorating & Furniture/What type of curtains, vallances to choose?


I have a decorating dilemia.  I have a beautiful 75 1/2 inch Fireplace mantle that is flanked by two long/narrow
windows that are 40 inches wide.  I have a nice painting that is 31" x 38 1/2 inches that I want to hang above the fireplace.  My dilemia is what type of curtains to use on the windows?  There are blinds on the windows (that look out to a covered porch, so keeping them open isn't very appealing).  My decor is Country.  We have 15 ft ceiling in this room.  I was thinking of using one 32" cascade vallance over one solid panel that doesn't open.  The Casade Valance has material that drapes down to about 52" on each side.  I am aiming for balance.  What would you advise?

I think a valance would work nicely, but will that cover the window and close off the covered porch? Maybe your panel would cover the whole window, or, it looks like you have blinds that cover the windows? Are they wood? You may want to try a roman shade to soften the room vs. blinds (if they are metal).

Two things to keep in mind are: A. make sure your curtains come all the way to the floor and B. take them up as heigh on the wall as you can -- above your window. This will open up your room nicely.

Good luck.

Decorating & Furniture

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


April Force Pardoe


Can answer questions about decorating, hanging art, furniture arrangement, color selections, accessorizing, window treatments, storage, organizing, staging, redesign


I run an interior redesign, staging and decorating company and have worked in creative fields—as a graphic designer and event planner—for 13 years. I have made a living creating beautiful spaces. I have the ability to see things not for what they are—but for what they could be.

Master of Arts in Publication Design.

©2017 All rights reserved.