Decorating & Furniture/wallcolor

I have an open floor plan:foyer to great room with eat in kitchen to the right(sharing fireplace wall with great room)All walls are original white except far wall of kitchen (no wall shared with great room) which is a half wall of bright yellow.  I want to paint the white walls something! My furniture is that tweedy (kid-sturdy) stuff, large plaid of navy blue,olive green,and lt. tan with probably the olive green being the more dominant.  Can't change the furniture.  I'm changing the kitchen color, but trying to decide what to paint the great room where it can then flow into the kitchen without all being one big block of the same color. And where to start?  the foyer? wrap all the way around to the nonshared kitchen wall, then change colors?  Thanks for any input!

Hi Kim,
Wow, it sounds like an awesome floor plan.  I understand your desire to want to add some color.  What type of cabinets do you have in the kitchen?  What is the fireplace made of?  Is it possible for you to attach a photo?  It always helps me to see the space first hand.  Without it, I would tell you to pick up one of the colors from the furniture that you are keeping in the space.  What kind of look are you going for?  Casual? High drama?  Do you like color?  You could always start with a light tan in one area, bring in the olive green and blue in the others. Tie them all together with the accents that are spread throughout the entire space.  Send me a photo if you get a chance!  Thanks.

Kim Boyer

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer

I am a Certified Interior Designer, Redesign and Home Staging Professional as well as a Certified Color expert. Therefore I am can assist with questions regarding space planning and furniture arrangement, color selection, art and accessory placement. I am also able to answer questions regarding the selection and sourcing of furniture and flooring materials as well as custom window treatments.

I started in the industry as a design consultant in the custom window treatment and home furnishings industry. I have gone on to establish my own full service interior decorating business, Kimberly Boyer Interiors, with specialities in redesign, home staging and color consultations. I was also a featured designer on MyHome2.0 a Verizon Fios sponsered Home Technology Makeover Show.

Affiliate Member Interior Design Society The SDP, ODDAA, ABWA, Interior Redesign Directory

Publications website Ask the Interior Designer

Certified Interior Designer Temple University. Certified Redesign and Staging Professional, Society of Decorating Professionals Certified Color Specialist, Society of Decorating Professionals