Decorating & Furniture/window treatments

Question
Kim,
We are getting ready to move in to a new cottage style home, with "Wicklow" theme.  It has small, yet tall rooms with  med. texturized walls in taupe w/ med. dark stain.  The trim is dark like mahogany.  I like the unique look but I am having trouble deciding on window treatments.  We had a sales rep. visit and recommended light colored (taupe) wood blinds because she says dark to match trim would make the rooms look very dark.  I have not seen the contrast and cannot find pictures online to see what dark trim with light blinds would look like.  What do you think?
I will probably add fabric treatments later.

Answer
Hi Jennifer,
Your new home sounds so charming.  Congratulations!  I think the dark blinds would probably make the room dark, but, I also prefer the look of the darker blind over the lighter blinds.  Can you raise the blinds during the day to allow the sun light and close at night for privacy? If you add a fabric valance of some kind, you could pull them up underneath.  If you're not sure about it, why not use a fabric shade, such as a relaxed roman shade?  The fabric would add a softness to all the dark trim and still provide privacy when pulled down.
I hope this helps.  Good luck to you!

Kim Boyer
www.kimberlyboyerinteriors.com

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer