Decorating & Furniture/Bathroom fixtures in new house

Question
Hi Jenny,
My husband and I are in the process of having a new townhouse built, and we've been overwhelmed with the selection process.  Basically, I'm happy with all our choices (but still a bit nervous as to how everything will come together), except for one, and that is the master bath.  My reservations are not that I don't think I'll like it; what bothers me is the fact that I've learned that our choices for that room are out of style, specifically, we chose chrome faucets with polished brass accents, and a polished brass semi-frameless shower door.  Every other room in the house has brushed nickel fixtures.  The reason we didn't go with brushed nickel in the master bath is because the designer told us that the shower door upgrade we selected did not come in a brushed finish (which I've since found out is incorrect, but that's another story).  We could have upgraded one more step to a framless shower door, but the cost was too high.  Anyway, am I correct in my understanding that brass is OUT???  I like the look of chrome with polished brass accents, but did I date our new master bath before we even moved in?  If so, what can I do to modernize our new bath without buying new fixtures and shower door?  The sinks, vanity top, toilet, tiles and jetted tub are white.  By the way, my husband loves the look of chrome with brass and has no regrets.  Thanks, Jenny.

Answer
Hi Ruthie,

Thanks for explaining your dilema so well.  There's no simple answer except to say "to each his own" when it comes to chrome versus brass or a combination of the two.  The time to be concerned about your choices are when and if you want to sell your townhouse.  Then you'll need to think what a buyer would prefer. Hopefully, that's years away from today!

If you're really distressed over the whole thing, talk to your builder and see what the incremental cost would be to change out the shower semi-frameless door and the fixtures.  There will undoubtedly be a "change" fee plus the cost of removing and replacing, but if it's that important to you it will be well worth it in the long run.

I personally am not put off by the combination of the two, although most people prefer the nickle or chrome.  

To minimize it's appearance in the room, add accents in chrome, playing up that aspect.  Since everything is white, you should consider adding a color to the wall space as well.

Hope this helps.
Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik