Decorating & Furniture/Buying hardwood floors that compliment my cherry furniture

My husband and I have decorated our home with dark cherry furniture in the Louis Phillip style and we wish to put hardwood floors in the entryway, den, dining room, florida room and hall (all of which flow together).  Our problem is that we are having a terrible time deciding a color for the new flooring.  I love the dark stained wood floors, but I think it would be too much dark wood in the space and I've heard they show dust badly.  We have a more traditional style. What color hardwood floors would you recommend?  What color hard wood floors would be a no-no?

Hello Holly,
I think you really have to choose what you like.  I tore up my light oak floors and replaced them with dark wood floors about 3 years ago and I love the look.  My neighbors all loved the look, because they followed suit and all did the same thing.  I put in a dark cherry kitchen, and I have chocolate leather furniture and it looks fabulous.  Is it dark? Yes.  Is it cozy? Yes.  Do I love it? Yes.
Does it show dust? Yes.  Would I trade it? No.
My light wood floor, yellowed with age, and got dark in between the boards with dirt.  If you are adding area rugs, it will break it all up, so just go with what you wanted to begin with, and you won't go wrong.  Hope that helped.

Kim Boyer

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer

I am a Certified Interior Designer, Redesign and Home Staging Professional as well as a Certified Color expert. Therefore I am can assist with questions regarding space planning and furniture arrangement, color selection, art and accessory placement. I am also able to answer questions regarding the selection and sourcing of furniture and flooring materials as well as custom window treatments.

I started in the industry as a design consultant in the custom window treatment and home furnishings industry. I have gone on to establish my own full service interior decorating business, Kimberly Boyer Interiors, with specialities in redesign, home staging and color consultations. I was also a featured designer on MyHome2.0 a Verizon Fios sponsered Home Technology Makeover Show.

Affiliate Member Interior Design Society The SDP, ODDAA, ABWA, Interior Redesign Directory

Publications website Ask the Interior Designer

Certified Interior Designer Temple University. Certified Redesign and Staging Professional, Society of Decorating Professionals Certified Color Specialist, Society of Decorating Professionals