Decorating & Furniture/Buying hardwood floors that compliment my cherry furniture

Question
My husband and I have decorated our home with dark cherry furniture in the Louis Phillip style and we wish to put hardwood floors in the entryway, den, dining room, florida room and hall (all of which flow together).  Our problem is that we are having a terrible time deciding a color for the new flooring.  I love the dark stained wood floors, but I think it would be too much dark wood in the space and I've heard they show dust badly.  We have a more traditional style. What color hardwood floors would you recommend?  What color hard wood floors would be a no-no?

Answer
Hello Holly,
I think you really have to choose what you like.  I tore up my light oak floors and replaced them with dark wood floors about 3 years ago and I love the look.  My neighbors all loved the look, because they followed suit and all did the same thing.  I put in a dark cherry kitchen, and I have chocolate leather furniture and it looks fabulous.  Is it dark? Yes.  Is it cozy? Yes.  Do I love it? Yes.
Does it show dust? Yes.  Would I trade it? No.
My light wood floor, yellowed with age, and got dark in between the boards with dirt.  If you are adding area rugs, it will break it all up, so just go with what you wanted to begin with, and you won't go wrong.  Hope that helped.

Kim Boyer
www.kimberlyboyerinteriors.com

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer