Decorating & Furniture/Colors open floor plan

Great Room
Great Room  
Hi Norah,
We are building a new home and as you can imagine I am overwhelmed with picking out wall colors for all the rooms.  I am trying to focus on one area at a time.  My question is related to our great room/dining nook/kitchen.  We have cathedral ceilings.  The floor plan is somewhat open to the kitchen and dining nook.  I have attached a picture of a painting I would like to keep in the new home.  In the picture you will also see the color of our leather sectional (light) and furniture (mahogany.  Our trim in the hose is going to be chestnut stained poplar (fairly dark)and our kitchen cabinets are an Oatmeal Glaze on Maple (fairly light).  I want to avoid using blue as I would like to use this in my bedroom.  I like chocolate brown colors as we have it now, but I worry about too many dark colors with all the dark wood.  I really like green for the dining area but would have to reserve it to just one wall with line delineation issues.  Also, the kitchen cabinets would look great with a brown as it would allow the glazing to pop better.  Any ideas you have would be great.  Lastly, we are putting laminate flooring (wood or tile look) in the kitchen/dining nook and carpet in the great room.  I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts on whether we should go light, dark or somewhere in between.  Can you tell I'm overwhelmed by all the choices???

Many thanks,

Hi Lisa,
        I would recommend the following Glidden/CIL colours. century brown 80YR 19/177; natures's essence 30YR 18/212, or enchanted forest 90YY 22/200. The browns have red-nature's essence or green-century brown which will not be as dark as a true chocolate and the green would bring out the yellow of the maple. All three go well with a medium brown laminate. Look at page 2 and the bamboo caramel, but anything in that tone will work well. Hope this helps, and good luck :)

Decorating & Furniture

G. Norah Baker

My areas of expertise are color selection and accessories. But I have a general knowledge of all areas of interior decorating and would be able to answer questions in any area.

I have decorated over ten houses and apartments and have consulted on five outside projects. I have had an interest in decorating since my teens.

I graduated with highest honors (96%) from Thomson Education Direct in 2002