Decorating & Furniture/Desperate to identify piece of furniture

Hi Sandy-This may not be your area of expertise, but I read that you frequent flea markets.  I was given a beautiful, carved, wood chair years ago by by ex's mom.  I have no clue if it's an antique or reproduction, but I've been researching online until my brain's bleeding without success.  Any suggestions as to the best way to identify styles of old furniture?  I can't take it to an appraiser, but I would love to find out what I have.  Thanks much for any help.  Skelly

Hi Skelly,
Thanks for writing. While this isn't necessarily my area of expertise, I thought I would give you some avenues perhaps you haven't gone down yet.  The first idea I had requires bring the picture of your chair to an Antique Store or Antique Show in your area.  While they may not be able to appraise it for you, they can certainly tell you what period it is, and perhaps recommend an appraiser that can come to your home.  There may be a slight fee for the travel etc for such appraiser, but I think it would be worth it if they tell you it's worth a lot of money.  If that is the case, and you don't intend to sell it, make sure you have it insured properly.
Ok, the second idea is back to the internet; via
They may have a question and answer area such as we do for the experts.
Good luck.  It's a great looking chair.  Lots of character.

Decorating & Furniture

Sandy Knutson-Grebner

I am able to answer questions regarding Interior Redesign - specializing in decorating with Flea Market finds, window treatments, paint color, and real estate staging. I am a certified redesigner and stager. Please visit I look forward to assisting you.

I have been in business 3 years as a certified redesigner, with a lifetime of experience.

Oswego Chamber of Commerce Aurora Chamber of Commerce The SDP IRIS

Certified Redesigner and Stager with The SDP Certified Redesigner with IRIS
,Interior Redesign Directory