Decorating & Furniture/Furniture arrangement

Question
TH Floor plan
TH Floor plan  
I have a 1088 sq foot TH. The living room is very awkward and is 12feet5 by
14feet10-literally a small box. The room is small and I admit my
sofa/loveseat
may be a bit much for the room. I also have a large TV and large stand in this
room. The entrance to my home is immediately in this area and stairs are also
in
this area. Also, you have to pass through it to access the dining/kitchen and
1/2 bath space. I don't want to have the walk through pass in front of the TV.
Am I being too unrealistic? How can I arrange the furniture so that I can
acheive this. I'm open to removing the TV if I have too. Also, the dining area
is just off from this space and is 9feet6 by 12. Should I stick with a round
dining table as I have before or can I choose a small rectangle table. There is
a small computer desk and a small (3 cubic foot) freezor in this space as
well.

Answer
Hi Angel,

Unfortunately, your furniture is out of scale (too large) for the space.  Scale down the furnishings and either place your television on the longest wall that backs up to the bedroom OR on the wall that backs up to the bath.  If you don't like the looks of the tv there, move it to another room.  

As for the dining room, you're probably going to be happiest and feel the most comfortable using a round table.  A nice 60" table will comfortably seat 6 (place settings and glassware only) and if you like glass, this will give you even more visual space.  

You can certainly use a small square or rectangular table, but I'd do that only if I typically had 2 people (max 4) around for dinners.  

If you can, move the computer desk to the guest bedroom, and find a new home for the freezer!

Jenny  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik