Decorating & Furniture/Great Room

I have a sunken great room 14 ft. x 20 ft with a pitched ceiling that is 17 feet at its highest point. One entire wall is a fireplace with mantle and white cabinets on either side that fill the entire space between the fireplace and the end walls.  The cabinets are approximately 8 feet high.  My question is what to do with the big "box" of space approximately 3 feet wide and 4 feet high above each set of cabinets.  I have tried putting big baskets and pottery there, but it just looks strange.  Also I want to re-do this room with a Tuscan feel.  The white cabinets are thermafoil.  What color would best reflect Tuscan design? Can these cabinets be painted?  I am willing to reface the boxes and buy new door and drawer fronts.  Please help.

Hi Pat,

To get a more Tuscan feel, you will need to paint or reface the cabinets and paint the walls a warm color.  I'm not familiar with thermafoil, but most surfaces, including lacquered ones receive paint once they are sanded and primed with a non-porous primer like Benz or Kilz.  

Tuscany implies rich tones of red, orange, brown, golden yellow and earthy green.  I'd opt for a golden yellow wall color with orange/brown cabinets; something in the shade of nutmeg or allspice.  

Topping the cabinets with "uplights" behind your pottery and other objects will help to sell the Tuscan feel and will indirectly illuminate that space.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology