Decorating & Furniture/Interior Color Selection

I'm moving into a two-story duplex. There is wall to wall brown carpet in the
living areas downstairs (with the exception of the kitchen, which has a light
natural hardwood floor) and the carpet runs throughout the upstairs area as
well. The walls in the downstairs living areas (minus the kitchen) are tan, and
it makes the space feel a bit small. However, I am able to pick colors (trim
and wall) for my room upstairs. It has the same color carpet, large layout, and  
it accesses balcony (second-story). The door to the balcony is a beautiful old,
dark, solid wood door (with an old-style key hole) and next to it is a pretty
large window. Other than that, there aren't a lot of sources of natural light,
and the only permanent fixture is the ceiling fan in the center of the room
(which I may also replace). Any color ideas to lighten up and refreshen these

Hi Robert,
Adding some soft color would definitely make it more interesting.  Depending on your preferences, soft blues and greys would be really nice.  They go great with the brown, being a neutral. Are you more daring?  Try bolder colors of yellow golds, terra cotta or a sage green.  Right now, you have a very neutral palette as you well know so the sky's the limit.  It may help to look for bedding that you like and pull colors from that.  If you stay with the same undertones, no matter the color, it will all coordinate beautifully.
Let me know if you need additional help or further clarity. Good luck!

Kim Boyer

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer

I am a Certified Interior Designer, Redesign and Home Staging Professional as well as a Certified Color expert. Therefore I am can assist with questions regarding space planning and furniture arrangement, color selection, art and accessory placement. I am also able to answer questions regarding the selection and sourcing of furniture and flooring materials as well as custom window treatments.

I started in the industry as a design consultant in the custom window treatment and home furnishings industry. I have gone on to establish my own full service interior decorating business, Kimberly Boyer Interiors, with specialities in redesign, home staging and color consultations. I was also a featured designer on MyHome2.0 a Verizon Fios sponsered Home Technology Makeover Show.

Affiliate Member Interior Design Society The SDP, ODDAA, ABWA, Interior Redesign Directory

Publications website Ask the Interior Designer

Certified Interior Designer Temple University. Certified Redesign and Staging Professional, Society of Decorating Professionals Certified Color Specialist, Society of Decorating Professionals