Decorating & Furniture/Kitchen colors

Question
I have a very small kitchen and just removed wall paper which was chore in itself.  My house it about 30 yrs. old and need of much repair. I decided on a bluish gray color because my floor is white with a tint of that color in it.  I painted above the sink area in this color, looks nice.  When you enter my kitchen this is on the left.  When you come into the kitchen straight ahead is a back door and window.  To the right of the room is a wall where I have my bakers rack, etc.  Anyway, I picked a mauve color for my accent wall, just don't know which one to put it on.  I would think opposite walls is the way it should be do not know for sure.  Then again are these colors okay, like I said my decor was autumn wheat basic 70 colors.  I know the darker colors are in would this be okay colorwise or am I outdating myself again.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Rhonda

Answer
Hi there Rhonda -

Good for you, taking on the horrendous task of old wallpaper removal! It isn't pretty, is it? I love the sound of the bluish gray you're going with already in the kitchen. To be completely honest, in a small kitchen, I would stick with a single color. If you'd like to use mauve as an accent, find accessories in that color. I would visually accent the window you've got, perhaps with a simple valance,just to draw the eye outside - that will make the space feel larger.

In terms of colors that are in - I wouldn't concern myself with that - what's "in" for you is what counts!

If I may be so bold - I might suggest going with some more invigorating colors for the kitchen in lieu of mauve. Perhaps a crisp green, or a tangerine. I love vibrant colors in a kitchen - it's usually one of the first and last rooms you see every day - I'd want a color in there that was uplifting and made me smile! (If mauve makes you smile, then go for it, just try to get brighter versions of it!)

I hope this helps!!

All the best,
Beth

Decorating & Furniture

ES