Decorating & Furniture/Kitchen table to match cabinets

Question

We have a open kitchen where the cabinets are all cherry/dark wood (not a lot of red, but some).  The kitchen/living room and dining room are all open.  The kitchen and dining room have ceramics and the rest is light hardwood.  We've been shopping for a kitchen table and we're not sure what color we should look for.  We would prefer to not have a too dark color wood since dust and finger prints show easily.  We love the dark wood like walnut but I'm not sure that would go well with the cabinets.  Any suggestions?

Answer
Since you're in an open floor plan, you can either coordinate the wood with your cabinet color or with your lighter hardwood flooring.  I see no reason why walnut would not work with your cherry cabinets.  They just need to "coordinate" not match.  Again, you may want to look at a table that pulls the lighter hardwood floor color into the space.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik