Decorating & Furniture/Leather furniture for family room

Question
I currently have a tan-gold colored sectional in the F.R.  Would love to replace it with lt. brown, leather sofa with bun feet, nail-head trim and camel back.  There is a love seat, chairs with ottoman to match.  Is it too much to have the leather sofa and 2 chairs with the ottoman?  I know you shouldn't be too "matchy" but I love the looks of this set.  The room has a fireplace, one set of shelves to the left of the fireplace and a large wall of windows.  Have a large screen TV which I would love to get rid of and replace with a flat screen in a cabinet.  Any suggestions?  Appreciate any help.  Thanks, Connie

Answer
Hi Connie,

It's ok to be "matchy" if it's your choice.  I just try to tell some who write in that they don't "have to".  If you love the look I say go for it.  That's what decorating is all about -- loving that furniture or that art piece and putting it in your home.  Kind of makes you smile every time you see it.  

Flat screen tv's are almost as challenging to place in a room as a large screen.  I ended up building mine out over the fireplace so that we now have a single focal point in the great room as opposed to several.  If you can manage that, it's a great option.  In the meantime you might consider using the (new) sofa facing the fireplace, and the two chairs to the right side of the fireplace, even if that means having their backs to the windows.  Otherwise I would recommend one on either side of the sofa (creating a U shape).  As it is, I'm suggesting an L shape to accomodate the bookshelves on one side of the fireplace.  The ottoman could be used as either a "coffee" table or as a pull up for extra seating.

Good luck with your new furniture.  It sounds beautiful.

Jenny

PS:  Don't fear putting furniture in front of windows.  If you leave enough room to walk behind them (float in the room) you'll have a great look and no problems maintaining the view.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik