Decorating & Furniture/Narrow Living Room

Question
Our living room is narrow - 19' X 8 1/2' with one wall all glass looking out to the lake and an opening to the room from the right corner to a half wall which is about 9 feet in open space.  Also on the left side wall there is a wall mounted TV (sticks out from wall about 7 inches).  I would like some suggestions about furniture placement.  HELP - also decorate in Arts and Crafts style.  Presently we have two chairs on the right end side wall.  Modular seating going from back wall to left corner and down left corner wall.  The modular is a problem due to the TV sticking out of the wall so thinking of a couch on the back wall and putting a chair in the corner of the left hand wall towards the wall of glass.  Glass wall is 3 sliding glass doors each 6 feet long.  Also thinking of using wood blinds on the windows to control the light in the summer and winter.  Again - HELP with the placement of furniture and any other suggetions.

Answer
room layout
room layout  
Hi Kim,
Dealing with a long narrow room is very difficult.  You want to avoid placing the furniture along the longest wall because it only enhances the "bowling alley" feel.  First of all, you need to find your focal point, which, from the sounds of the room, should be the spectacular view overlooking the lake.  Can the TV be moved to another wall adjacent to the window?  I would like to see the furniture brought into the middle of the room and placed on a V to address both as the focal point.  You can work the rest of the pieces in from there.  I'm attaching a really primitive,quick drawing for your review.  Hope it was helpful, let me know if you need any other assistance.

Kim Boyer
www.kimberlyboyerinteriors.com

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer