Decorating & Furniture/Paintin main living area in a split level

My husband and I just purchased a split level home.  Right now the walls are a shade of white in the main level (living room, dining room (the kitchen is walled off, but it is white with blue counter tops).  My question is how would I paint this area where it's cohesive.  The area is all open - you look down a railing and you look into the family room and up some stairs to the hallway to the bedroom floor.  Another thing that makes it difficult for me is that the living room has a huge bay window and there is an ornamental fireplace with stone from hearth to ceiling (in bluish-grey tones).  Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.  
P.S. My style if casual/country/shabby chic.  (still finding my style :)

Hi Beth,
Oh, this is so hard to explain, but basically the key is staying with the same undertones.  Colors basically have either a black undertone or a brown/grey undertone, no matter the color. So as long as you don't mix them, you should be ok.  I would recommend hiring a color expert for a consultation.  It will be money well spent and save you from making expensive mistakes down the road.

Kim Boyer

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer

I am a Certified Interior Designer, Redesign and Home Staging Professional as well as a Certified Color expert. Therefore I am can assist with questions regarding space planning and furniture arrangement, color selection, art and accessory placement. I am also able to answer questions regarding the selection and sourcing of furniture and flooring materials as well as custom window treatments.

I started in the industry as a design consultant in the custom window treatment and home furnishings industry. I have gone on to establish my own full service interior decorating business, Kimberly Boyer Interiors, with specialities in redesign, home staging and color consultations. I was also a featured designer on MyHome2.0 a Verizon Fios sponsered Home Technology Makeover Show.

Affiliate Member Interior Design Society The SDP, ODDAA, ABWA, Interior Redesign Directory

Publications website Ask the Interior Designer

Certified Interior Designer Temple University. Certified Redesign and Staging Professional, Society of Decorating Professionals Certified Color Specialist, Society of Decorating Professionals