Decorating & Furniture/Painting an upstairs bedroom in a cape

I recently purchased a cape cod style home and am perplexed as to how to paint my upstairs bedroom as it has dormers and slanted walls.  Do I just paint the bottom vertical walls or do I paint the slanted walls approaching the ceilings as well?  I have read that many people install beadboard to avoid this dilemma.  However, I am not interested in beadboard.  Also, is there any painting techniques (i.e., color selection) that can make the room appear larger?
Thanks in advance for all your help

Paint the entire wall, slant and all and change colors at the ceiling.  

My opinion on making a room feel larger involves a rich paint color - not darkest and not lightest - and adding a bit of white to that color and using it as the ceiling color.  When there is a differentiation between wall and ceiling, the eye stops.  When there is less contrast, the eye simply travels up and the room appears more spacious.  

One other trick which is "tricky" with slanted walls is taping off equally spaced vertical stripes and painting a tone on tone color.  This is done with flat paint on one stripe and glossy of the same color on the alternate ones.  Vertical stripes make a room appear taller - horizontal stripes make a room appear wider.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology