Decorating & Furniture/Recovering Patio Furniture Cushions

Question
Hey!  I am in the process of turning a screen room into an actual sun room by installing windows. I bought an aluminium patio furniture set at a garage sale.  It is white.  I saw a segment on Trading Spaces where they took some panty hose and put them over something, I believe a mirror, and spray painted it.  After removing the panty hose it looked awesome.  So I was going to try this technique on the metal part of the furniture.  (any advise about this??)  And the second q's was how to recover the ugly cushions that are already on the chairs??  They are considered reclinder cushions or high back cushions.  It is the back and the bottom part together.  I am not sure how to recover these.  Since they will not be outside but in a sun room I know I can use just about any material.  I know people usually stapple the material to plywood under the chairs.  Since these are aluminium chairs I really do not have that option. I am looking for the cheapest but easiest way.  Please help!!!

Answer
Hi Cherie,

How exciting for you!  I actually saw the same segment on TS, and they used a textured stocking, covered a mirror and spray painted it.  It looked terrific.  My suggestion is to try it.  The worst that can happen is that you paint the entire surface if you don't like the texture.

As for the cushions, if you can sew a straight line on a sewing machine, you can recover these.  You simply lay one down and trace around it thus creating a pattern.  You'll need to do it in two pieces; top and bottom.  Then allow at least 1/2 inch as a seam allowance around all sides, and voila you have a pattern.  

Sew three sides together on each piece and hem the fourth side, leaving it open.  Slip it over the cushion (letting the hemmed edge of each piece meet in the middle) and you have a new slipcover.  

Good luck!
Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik