Decorating & Furniture/Sectional Couch and coffe table

Hi.  I have a navy and burgundy spotted L shaped sectional couch in my living room. We have a cherry armoire and side table.  I am wondering what kind of rug and coffee table I should explore using.  My initial reaction was to get a round rug and rectangle coffee table but now I am thinking of getting a round rug and round coffee table.  What do you think works best with sectional couches?  Thank you.

Hi Jacqueline,

The key here is scale.  You need a "large" coffee table so that it is not dwarfed by the size of the sectional.  I have seen beautiful square tables used with sectionals and beautiful oblong or rounded tables used successfully, so the choice is yours.  Just remember to purchase a table that is large.  

As for the rug, again scale is key.  The rug should be large enough to go underneath the legs of the sectional, and extend beyond the legs of the coffee table.

Have fun shopping!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology