Decorating & Furniture/White Paint in Room with North Exposure

Question
QUESTION: Hi Kim - Thanks for volunteering on this great site.

I painted my kitchen cabinets recently and have run into some problems with how they look with daylight in the room.  The room has lots of windows and french doors on the north and east walls.  Two very large french doors are across the room from the main wall of cabinets.  I originally painted the cabinets the same color as all my trim and crown moulding (BenjMoore Oxford White).  Because of the daylight, it looked like I had painted them baby blue!  I have golden yellow walls, brown ceramic tile floor, lots of golden brown wood and all white trim - very warm so it looked horrible with baby blue!) So, after a lot of discussion with the paint store clerk, I repainted them a warmer more yellow white (Benj Moore Ivory Tusk).  I absolutely love the color (it is VERY creamy white) but it now looks like the cabinets are a pale green.  I am (and always was) debating about whether to put a golden brown glaze on the ivory but am not sure what to do about the indirect outdoor light that is so blue. I originally did a large test board of the ivory tusk and thought it looked great so I have totally lost all confidence.  Do you have any ideas?

ANSWER: Hi Kim,
Belive it or not, there are so many shades of white, and they all have a different undertone, yellow, blue, green, grey, brown, red.  It's mind boggling.  It's late now, but I will do my homework and take a look at the colors you have chosen thus far and see what else I can come up with.  My tried and true white from Benjamin Moore is White Dove.  I use it on everything, including my built in bookcases, cabinets and window seats.  I think you need to have more of a yellow undertone with what you have going on in the room.  Do not put the golden brown glaze on the ivory.  It will look like 30 years of tobacco smoke.  Trust me!  Give me some time and I will get back to you.  I take it you are looking for a creamy white?
Can you attach a photo of the room thus far?
Kim Boyer
www.kimberlyboyerinteriors.com

New White Kitchen
New White Kitchen  
QUESTION: Hi Kim - thanks for the quick response - I've been losing sleep over this kitchen!  Here is a photo (I hope) but on my computer the color looks great.  The color actually looks great at night with the recessed lights, etc. on.  It's just the daylight that makes them look a different, unpleasant color.  Also please don't be alarmed at the mish mash look of everything else.  We are in the middle of replacing the appliances (from black to stainless) then we are putting a new countertop (granite in an earthtone with lots of cream?) and tumbled marble backsplash OR butcherblock on island with solid surface on work area?.  Could the ugly old bluish/dk grey laminate be effecting things? Or the remaining black appliances?  ANYWAY, sorry to go on so long - here is the photo . . .

Answer
Hi Kim,
I definitely see that the Oxford White had a bluish/grey cast to it.  You should be fine with the Ivory Tusk, as it is definitely creamy yellow.  Try changing out the bulbs to see if that makes a difference.  The picture you sent looks great.  You did a terrific job!

Kim Boyer
www.kimberlyboyerinteriors.com

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer