Decorating & Furniture/baseboard

I have medium brown oak baseboard and window trim in my great room and dining room.  The doors are all white as are the rails on the stairway, though the banister is oak.  When I put Brazilian cherry flooring in the adjoining sun room last year, I painted all the woodwork in that room white. The windows were already a white vinyl, so I only had to paint the trim and baseboard. Now, I'd like to put that flooring in the great room and dining room.  The windows in this part of the house are completely oak, and I can't see myself painting all of this.  My question is would the Brazilian cherry flooring look OK next to oak baseboard?  A friend suggested I change the baseboard to a 5 inch white, but then leave the oak trim around the white doors and the oak windows.  Can you help sort this out please??  Thank you!

Hi Fran,
         It would be better to leave the woodwork as is. The floor and baseboards will tie in because they are both wood tones, it's similar to having different wood tones for coffee and occasional tables in a room with built in mahogany wall shelves. White boards would stand out and possibly be jarring to the eye. Hope this helps, and good luck :)

Decorating & Furniture

G. Norah Baker

My areas of expertise are color selection and accessories. But I have a general knowledge of all areas of interior decorating and would be able to answer questions in any area.

I have decorated over ten houses and apartments and have consulted on five outside projects. I have had an interest in decorating since my teens.

I graduated with highest honors (96%) from Thomson Education Direct in 2002