Decorating & Furniture/color help

QUESTION: My husband and I are about to move into our first home, and we're looking at painting the living and dining areas (they are adjoined, such that they make an "L" shape that wraps around the kitchen) a color called Arbor Vine by The Freshaire Choice. My husband is set on painting his office Chinese Red SW 0057. There's a small hallway area separating the office from the living area, but unless the office door is closed, the red will be visible from parts of the living room, so people will be looking through the green to a "pop" of bright red off to the side. I know that green and red can be striking together, but I want to be sure that these shades won't clash or look like we've decorated for Christmas. The Arbor Vine is a sagey green with a hint of gray to it. Would a slightly warmer, yellower green like Behr's Rejuvenate 410E-3 work better with the warm red, or would both work...or neither? What color should we paint the hallway area that separates these two rooms?  
OK, another question. My husband has suggested a very light lavender (Sherwin William's Silver Peony) for the master bedroom. It's a pretty color, but I'm a little hesitant to use a purple shade, perhaps because I had a lavender room as a child and so it doesn't seem very "grown-up" to me. Do you have any tips for using lavender to create a sophisticated, relaxing room for adults? What color should the trim be to make the room look as spacious as possible? It is rather small. Thanks for all your help!

ANSWER: Hey Jessica,

Awesome color questions.  First of all, either of the greens will work with the Chinese red, so choose your favorite.  I personally would use the greyed down green.  Having said that, I would also "give the eye a rest" in the hallway with a taupe or a camel brown.  Either will work well and will help to color sculpt the red and green.

Lavender can be very sophisticated when paired with a mint or celery green and white.  Very chic.  Lean toward a medium shade of lavender -- if you go too light, you're going to feel like a kid again.

Thanks for writing.  Good luck with your new home!

QUESTION: Thank you so much for your quick and helpful response. Do you have a specific taupe or a camel brown paint that you'd recommend as a good compliment to the Chinese Red and the Livable Green (Sherwin Williams colors)? If not, that's OK, I was just wondering if had something specific in mind that would go well with both.

Also, this may sound silly, but I'm wondering if the Silver Peony is a "medium" lavender, or if it's too light. Are you familiar with this color?  

Hi again,

I looked at your color choices.  To lessen the visual intensity of going from your very pale Liveable Green to Oriental Red, you might consider either Rice Grain or Favorite Tan by Sherwin Wlliams.  

The Silver Peony is a very pale shade.  I was thinking more in terms of Soulmate with Breaktime and White.  All these are SW colors and you can check them out online to see how they look together.

Best regards,

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology