Decorating & Furniture/colors

Question
Hi Kim:  We are redoing our basement and have come to the paint part.  I just purchased a chocolate brown sectional and a thinking on painting the walls an almond color.  I was going to paint 8 inch grey/ blue stripes here and there down the walls and accesorize with that blue in pillows, art and other chochkeys.  Should I be painting the reverse - blue walls with darker brown stripes?  I admit, our basement is on the cool side so I was afraid of the blue - what do you think?  Thanks a lot, Mo

Answer
Hi Mo,
Blue and chocolate brown is still a hot color combination.  By cool, do you mean the basement is actually cold in temperature or feel?  Blue will actually make the space feel cold, so I would avoid blue if that is the case.  They have actually done a study in an office that was painted blue and everyone was complaining about the temperature and that they were always chilly.  One day, without mentioning it, they came in and painted the walls a peachy orange color, and the complaining magically stopped. Why not warm it up with a spicy red color?  You could accent with golds and reds and create a real cozy space.  
I also don't understand what you mean about painting the 8" stripe here and there. I'm not sure about that.  Good Luck with your project and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Kim Boyer
www.kimberlyboyerinteriors.com

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer