Decorating & Furniture/decorating a den 18x12

When a room is long and narrow. Where is the placement of the furniture? This is a family room.  Must be able to watch tv  Starting from scratch but must have a flat screen tv on the wall

living room
living room  
Hi Carol,
Try breaking up the space.  Placing the couch on the longest wall will emphasize a bowling alley room.  Place the TV first and try placing the sofa on a 45 degree angle addressing it. Finish off the conversation area with either a loveseat or 2 chairs.  By pulling the furniture into the middle of the room, you will create a more inviting arrangment and be able to have multiple functions in the same space if needed. I'll attach a photo to try to explain.

Kim Boyer

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer

I am a Certified Interior Designer, Redesign and Home Staging Professional as well as a Certified Color expert. Therefore I am can assist with questions regarding space planning and furniture arrangement, color selection, art and accessory placement. I am also able to answer questions regarding the selection and sourcing of furniture and flooring materials as well as custom window treatments.

I started in the industry as a design consultant in the custom window treatment and home furnishings industry. I have gone on to establish my own full service interior decorating business, Kimberly Boyer Interiors, with specialities in redesign, home staging and color consultations. I was also a featured designer on MyHome2.0 a Verizon Fios sponsered Home Technology Makeover Show.

Affiliate Member Interior Design Society The SDP, ODDAA, ABWA, Interior Redesign Directory

Publications website Ask the Interior Designer

Certified Interior Designer Temple University. Certified Redesign and Staging Professional, Society of Decorating Professionals Certified Color Specialist, Society of Decorating Professionals