Decorating & Furniture/how to make the front of the house more inviting

Front of house
Front of house  
Hi Jenny - I just wanted some tips on how to dress up the front of the house.  The front door to the house is recessed so you don't see it from the street or walking up to the house.  There is a nice window to the right of the front door.  Right now the walkway is only patio slabs but we are thinking of having poured concrete put down.  Any suggestions on what I can do accessory wise or even plant wise to make the front of the house more appealing and inviting?  Thanks.

Sherry Isaacs

A poured concrete walkway would be nice, and rather than putting it in the same area as your current slabs are, consider moving it further out from the house (another 2-3 feet).  I'd also get creative on the layout - add a curve which will make the walk more interesting.  This will give you the opportunity to create a flower bed between the walk and the house.  The shrubs you have now are ok, but they are not in scale with the rest of your house.  They're too small and nothing there is flowering.  

Depending on your climate, purchase at least 3 large scale palms or cedars, then put one in between the two windows along the walkway and the other two on the "outside" of the main bed.  Fill in with either the plants you have (always working in odd numbers) and then add flowering plants that are medium in height.  You want the plant bed to have tall, medium and short plants for interest.  

Alongside the large window, put a potted tree like ficus or something that is hearty in your area.  You need height (again) to be in scale with your house.  Add to that some outdoor lighting, particularly alongside your doorway and you will have added some pizazz.  

You may want to include some solar powered walkway lights in the flower bed, or along your new walkway.  Remember -- winding path, not squared off.  You have enough angles going on already.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology