Decorating & Furniture/living room arrangement and colors

Question
My husband and I are about to move into our first home, and we're looking at painting the living and dining areas (they are adjoined, such that they make an "L" shape that wraps around the kitchen) a color called Arbor Vine by The Freshaire Choice. My husband is set on painting his office Chinese Red SW 0057. There's a small hallway area separating the office from the living area, but unless the office door is closed, the red will be visible from parts of the living room, so people will be looking through the green to a "pop" of bright red off to the side. I know that green and red can be striking together, but I want to be sure that these shades won't clash or look like we've decorated for Christmas. The Arbor Vine is a sagey green with a hint of gray to it. Would a slightly warmer, yellower green like Behr's Rejuvenate 410E-3 work better with the warm red, or would both work...or neither? What color should we paint the hallway area that separates these two rooms?  
OK, another question. My husband has suggested a very light lavender (Sherwin William's Silver Peony) for the master bedroom. It's a pretty color, but I'm a little hesitant to use a purple shade, perhaps because I had a lavender room as a child and so it doesn't seem very "grown-up" to me. Do you have any tips for using lavender to create a sophisticated, relaxing room for adults? What color should the trim be to make the room look as spacious as possible? It is rather small. Thanks for all your help!

Answer
Hi Jessica,
I think you are on the right track.  The Chinese Red is actually a re-orange color, and the exact complement of that would be a blue-green.  If you get the right shade it will be fine. Something like SW6178 or SW 6186.  You could use any of the colors on either of those strips. (I tried to access the Arbor Vine from Freshaire on line, but couldn't find that color).  I would stay away from the yellow-green, it doesn't fall into any color scheme with that on the color wheel.  
For the Bedroom, I really like the Silver Peony!  It's a wonderful color for a bedroom, add metallics and shades of silver and grey for a high end look. It's soft and romantic, not your typical lavender.
I have SW and BM paint decks readily available.  If you still aren't sure about the color, I can help you choose one that you can take and match to any manufacturer. Hope this helps.

Kim Boyer
www.kimberlyboyerinteriors.com

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer