Decorating & Furniture/living room furniture placement

Question
living room is 11' x 17', picture a rectangle. Front wall of house has three windows in center of wall. Back wall has opening to dining room in center of wall. How do you place furniture in room. I have an upright piano I want to put in room with and "L" shaped couch.

Answer
Hi Jack -

Thank you for your question. The key to furniture placement is to identify your focal point(s). In this case, it sounds like it could be the windows and/or the piano. WIthout having exact dimensions of the pieces, I would suggest you place the sofa in a corner opposite the window wall, with the piano in the opposite corner adjacent to the window. You could angle the piano in the corner. In this way, the sofa faces both focal points - piano and window. You can then place the rest of the furniture around these two main pieces, being careful to maintain a traffic pattern throughout the room, and to not obstruct the doorway from the dining room.

I hope this has been helpful!

All the Best,
Beth  

Decorating & Furniture

ES