Decorating & Furniture/mixing dark and light wood

Hi, we are looking into purchasing a home that has light wood (see attachment) but all our current furniture is darker wood (cherry stains). What is the best way to incorporate our furniture. I have tried to find pictures of homes decorated like this without any success. If you know of any good books or websites to checkout that will be great. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Actually I think your cherry stained furniture will be beautiful in the space.  Your built-ins and your furniture don't have to match.  These built-ins appear to be either a pickled or white-washed finish which could be considered either "old world", "distressed" or "shabby chic".  Your furnishings will pull out the color in the counter top which will balance well in the space.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology