Decorating & Furniture/mixing woodwork amd window colors

Question
We are replacing the windows on the south side of our living /dining room.   It will be a 29 foot wall. We want to open up to our private country yard and create a sun room feel.  We are doing 2 sets of 12 foot biparting french sliding doors next to each other, with hts of 7'.   I like the idea of painting them an eggshell white and also the trim around the windows white to give it a more transparent look and then leaving the baseboards in that room stained a med-dark color.  We are putting in hard wood floors too-probably a 4" stressed plank w/ med to dark stain.   Can I mix woodwork colors like this?  A friend of mine who is a designer said no.   Your opinion?

Answer
Hi Julie,

Thanks for your question. I'll have to beg to differ with your friend - I think it's perfectly fine to combine woods and trim colors. If you told me you were going to be painting the trim from each door a different color, then I would say no! I think it's perfectly acceptable to paint the baseboard a different color, especially since it will blend with the floor to some extent. I would paint the doors and window trim the same color, though. I prefer BM Linen White - it's a warm creamy white.

For every "rule" there is in decorating, there is a space that looks fabulous for having violated it! If you like it, go for it!!

All the best!

Beth

Decorating & Furniture

ES