Decorating & Furniture/need help with decorating bedroom

QUESTION: Hi! I am so glad that I found this website.

Its been a month since I got my new furniture and I just cannot figure out how to decorate my room. I am normally good with decoration and everyone who comes to my home loves the way I decorated my whole house, but this time I feel like I cannot figure it out on my own...

I bought master bedroom set. Set has everything (queen bed, 2 night stands, dresser and Armoire)
My furniture is traditional style furniture. It's hard to tell the color but its very light and seems like it is white washed and here is how the store described it...

"With unique gold & silver colored scroll work and running acanthus vine moulding, the traditional styling of the "Sanibel" bedroom collection is elegance with a twist. The light replicated oak grain plays beautifully off the faux granite tops and the coconut like shell inlay to add flair to the traditional design. Custom French style hardware rounds out the traditional beauty of the "Sanibel" bedroom collection"

Can you PLEASE help me with decorating my room? I have gone back and forth to stores and still cannot find out what kind of bed sheets/curtains and accents colors and style to bring.

Also, my room was painted green and I thought that was the problem so I changed it to "almond paste" color. I hope not to change the color again so can you help me pick colors for accents and bedsheets accordingly? I still do not mind if I have to paint whole room again but I am hoping that you can help me out with this color and furniture to decorate my room.

Thank you so much.

ANSWER: Dear Jhil,
Who is the furniture manufacturer?  I would like to go on line so I can see the style first hand.  That would make it much easier for me to further assist you.  I'll await your reply.  Thank you.

Kim Boyer

It is Ashley furniture. Please use this link to go to see my furniture.

When I wrote you first time we were in process of putting color in room and I didnt know how that would turn out but now we finished painting with ALMOND PASTE color and it looks pretty good.

So I would really appriciaite if you can give me some good tips with that furniture and Almond Paste color. If you feel that it is not good combination, feel free to give me new paint name and some ideas.

I forgot to mention that I would like to stay away from maroon because I two other room decorated in maroon in my house.
I would like to buy one or two picture frames, a carpet/rug, bedsheet that matches with curtain and accents.

Thank you so much for your quick response. I am looking forward to hear back from you.

Dear Jhil,
Thank you for sharing the photo of your furniture.  It really helped and you have many options to choose from.  I'm assuming, I hope correctly, that the Almond paste paint color is a neutral beige?  If so, you can pretty much do anything!  What I would suggest is to choose a rug that you really like, then draw a color from the rug to play up the bedding and possible window treatments.  You do not have to choose maroon.  What colors do you gravitate toward?  Do you want something deep and rich, or light and airy?  The trend right now is to use solid color bedding, but really luxurious, hotel collection high thread count bedding.  You also do not need to spend a lot of money.  HomeGoods, offers a beautiful selection, in assorted colors at amazing prices. Choose the rug first then pull the rest of the room together using that as your inspiration.  Good luck!   

Kim Boyer

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer

I am a Certified Interior Designer, Redesign and Home Staging Professional as well as a Certified Color expert. Therefore I am can assist with questions regarding space planning and furniture arrangement, color selection, art and accessory placement. I am also able to answer questions regarding the selection and sourcing of furniture and flooring materials as well as custom window treatments.

I started in the industry as a design consultant in the custom window treatment and home furnishings industry. I have gone on to establish my own full service interior decorating business, Kimberly Boyer Interiors, with specialities in redesign, home staging and color consultations. I was also a featured designer on MyHome2.0 a Verizon Fios sponsered Home Technology Makeover Show.

Affiliate Member Interior Design Society The SDP, ODDAA, ABWA, Interior Redesign Directory

Publications website Ask the Interior Designer

Certified Interior Designer Temple University. Certified Redesign and Staging Professional, Society of Decorating Professionals Certified Color Specialist, Society of Decorating Professionals