Decorating & Furniture/open loft kitchen: new hardwood floors

I am renovating an open plan loft apartment. We are moving the kitchen and must tear up the pine floor and replace with new wood in the kitchen only to waterproof. (I like wood) Should i lay new floor perpendicular to old pine floor? go with pine again or a different wood; if so which wood would you recommend; do I change the width of the wood? thx

Hi Arlene,

I too like wood, the feel and texture it adds to a space is hard to replace with anything else.  In your particular situation you may want to lay the wood either perpendicular to the old floor (for added durability and strength) OR you may want to run the planks on an angle.  This method is a bit more costly in that there are more cuts to make, but it adds another dimension and "visual" space to an area.  Since you have a loft, you may not need the visual space.  If that's the case, the choice is yours.  

If you are happy with the way the pine looked, replace it with the same.  If you prefer a wider plank, now's the time to do it, but there's no "need" to do that other than choice.  

PS:  The only other wood I would recommend that you take a look at is Bamboo.  It's a "greenier" choice in that it is a fast grower, easily harvested and strong as all get out!  It's just a completely different "look" than pine.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology