Decorating & Furniture/repainting a small bathroom

I have just purchased paint to redo my master bedroom bathroom – which is currently painted and wallpapered in olives/creams, and thought I knew what I wanted to do, but am now doubting my original plan.

Colors purchased are a darker apricot (Valspar Toasted Apricot 2006-3b), a lighter shade of apricot (next shade over on the card = Apricot Honey 2006 3C) and a lovely cream white (compliments the apricots very nicely – cream kind of reminds ya of a Creamsicle cream).  If you ever watch Trading Spaces – the apricots shades purchased are 2 of Laurie Smith’s favorite colors J

So….big decision is which of those colors (and I do not have to use all 3) to paint the following.  NOTE  - I was going to replace all of the olive (see below) with the darker apricot, replace the wallpaper (see below) with the lighter apricot and replace the cream (see below) with the new cream….but now I don’t know?

Wainscot (currently olive)

Wainscot molding (chair railing) – currently olive

Wall above wainscot – currently fern wallpaper (with matching olive accents)

Pocket door – currently cream

Pocket door trim – currently cream

Base boards – currently olive

Crown molding – currently olive

(Narrow) slatted linen closet door – currently olive

Linen closet door frame – currently olive

Window molding – currently olive

Window frame – currently olive

Window shudders –currently olive

Custom vanity (with wainscot doors) and 2 small medicine cabinets on the left and right side of a center mirror (only thing I know for sure will be painted in very dark brown – looks SO beautiful against the darker apricot – again a Laurie Smith idea) – currently olive.

I have purchased beautiful brown towels and shower curtain to match what will be the brown painted vanity/medicine chest – again so lovely against the apricot.

If you need current pictures, let me know.  Thanks

Hi Rikki -

This sounds like a really large bathroom! Keep in mind that decorating is a very personal thing, so you should really go with what you think is right and you'll love looking at every day! That being said, if it were my bathroom, here's what I'd do:

All the trim - baseboard, doors, wainscot, trim around doors and windows, shutters - and the crown - the creamy white. This will help make the color you're really loving, the dark apricot, "pop". It's a really classic look - having a crisp trim.

I would use the darker apricot on the walls above the chair rail, and if you're feeling adventurous, paint the ceiling the lighter apricot. Pick up the lighter apricot and brown in your accessories, and you're set.

I think your choices of color were great!!

All the best,

Decorating & Furniture

I am an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist. I can answer questions about furniture selection and placement, color selection and accessory and art placement. I can also answer questions regarding textile selections and window treatments. I specialize in interior redesign - creating fresh interiors out of what you already own.

I been decorating for the past 10 years - for myself, friends and family - and recently established my own firm - Design Intervention - to begin my professional career. To learn more about me, please visit my website at I have been involved in design for a long time - most recently I designed and handcrafted my own line of accessories.

Interior Redesign Industry Specialists (IRIS), Association of Design Education (ADE)

The New Hartford Town Crier (May 2008)

I earned my certification as an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist from the School of Interior Redesign, CT.