Decorating & Furniture/round or square table

Question
QUESTION: I have a 60" round glass table in the dining room which is next to my kitchen.  I am now in need a new kitchen table and am not sure whether I should get a round table or square.  There are a lot of straight edges in the kitchen.  The room is 11 x 8'9". How do you determine which to choose?

ANSWER: Hi Rhonda,

The easiest way is simply personal choice.  Round tables are more conducive to "dinner conversation", whereas square or even rectangular tables feel a bit more "formal".  It's difficult to carry on a conversation with everyone at a rectangular table for 8.  The flip side is need.  You may need to seat 8 or more people on a regular basis.  If you do, you'll need to look at rectangular tables with inserts (leaves).  

You may want to add a sideboard or buffet to the dining room, which again is a help for larger, more formal meals.  In a room that is basically 9 x 11, you can use any configuration, so I'd make my decision on both my personal preference and my seating requirements.  

Jenny

QUESTION: A further explanation.  The room I need to furnish is the kitchen dinette.  I
only mentioned the dining room because someone told me not to have the
same style of table in both rooms (meaning no two round tables, no two
square tables). Does it matter? I am considering a square granite table 42" x
42" or 42" rd granite.
Thank you.

Answer
You can have rounds or squares (or rectangles) in both.  It just does not matter from a decor standpoint.  What matters is what makes you happy and serves your needs.  Personally, I'd always opt for round.  It's cozier, friendlier and can be made to be as formal or  as casual as needed.

JW

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik