Decorating & Furniture/rug on carpet and placement

Aloha!  I have a dk brown leather sectional in my narrow living room w/off white carpet.  I want to add color & polish w/an area rug but how do I place it? Under the edge of the sofa and beyond the length & width? Photo attached shows how small the area is & TV unit across from sofa.

Hi Darci,
I don't see a photo attached, but generally, for a sectional or a sofa/loveseat combination, you should use a minimum of a 5' x 8' area rug. You could go larger but that would be the minimum.  You also want to relate the rug to the furniture, so at least the front feet of the furniture need to be on the carpet. You also want to follow the line of the furniture with the rug.  Area rugs are a great way to anchor a seating arrangement and add color to a space.  It sounds like you are on the right track.  Let me know if I can be of further service.

Kim Boyer

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer

I am a Certified Interior Designer, Redesign and Home Staging Professional as well as a Certified Color expert. Therefore I am can assist with questions regarding space planning and furniture arrangement, color selection, art and accessory placement. I am also able to answer questions regarding the selection and sourcing of furniture and flooring materials as well as custom window treatments.

I started in the industry as a design consultant in the custom window treatment and home furnishings industry. I have gone on to establish my own full service interior decorating business, Kimberly Boyer Interiors, with specialities in redesign, home staging and color consultations. I was also a featured designer on MyHome2.0 a Verizon Fios sponsered Home Technology Makeover Show.

Affiliate Member Interior Design Society The SDP, ODDAA, ABWA, Interior Redesign Directory

Publications website Ask the Interior Designer

Certified Interior Designer Temple University. Certified Redesign and Staging Professional, Society of Decorating Professionals Certified Color Specialist, Society of Decorating Professionals