Decorating & Furniture/rug on carpet and placement

Question
Aloha!  I have a dk brown leather sectional in my narrow living room w/off white carpet.  I want to add color & polish w/an area rug but how do I place it? Under the edge of the sofa and beyond the length & width? Photo attached shows how small the area is & TV unit across from sofa.

Answer
Hi Darci,
I don't see a photo attached, but generally, for a sectional or a sofa/loveseat combination, you should use a minimum of a 5' x 8' area rug. You could go larger but that would be the minimum.  You also want to relate the rug to the furniture, so at least the front feet of the furniture need to be on the carpet. You also want to follow the line of the furniture with the rug.  Area rugs are a great way to anchor a seating arrangement and add color to a space.  It sounds like you are on the right track.  Let me know if I can be of further service.

Kim Boyer
www.kimberlyboyerinteriors.com

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer